Skip to main content

Salmon Tartar - Asian Style


Served here with baked Lays potato chips or toasted baguette


In our family we use the expression ''mish mash'' to describe a dinner when we will just go through the fridge and freezer and put a bunch of easy (but good) things together to create a meal.  Actually, this is one of our favorite ways to eat because everyone prepares their favorite item and it all comes together buffet (or tapas) style.


For me, the  best part of this custom is that everyone lends a hand and we get to spend time together preparing the meal and eating it.

Usually, the items are cold, like a variety of salads, humus, cheese and fresh baguette and whatever is left over that can be quickly heated up.

Salmon tartar is often one of my contributions.   If I have time to stop at the market and get really fresh salmon, this is the best.   Unfortunately, I can't always do that but, because we are big fans of salmon, especially Kat,  I often have organic wild pacific salmon fillets in the freezer and this works just as well.

This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite maki rolls (spicy salmon).  I always have the ingredients on hand so this is very quick and easy to prepare.

You will need:  for about 12 crostini size portions or 4 starter size portions 

  • 280g fresh salmon or good quality frozen salmon fillets (wrap the fresh salmon in plastic wrap and put in the freezer for about 1/2 hour - this is not essential but is a tip to help with the cutting process)
  • 1/2 English cucumber, unpeeled, center seed section removed, diced small
  • 2 tbsp of sushi ginger, diced very small (pickled ginger served with sushi)
  • 2 tbsp of soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp of sesame or nut oil (make sure the sesame oil you use is fresh and does not have a bitter taste.  If you don't have sesame or nut oil, you can use olive oil)
  • 1 tbsp of sriracha sauce (spicy Asian sauce), you can adjust to your own taste
  • 1 tbsp of sushi rice vinegar
  • salt to taste
  • baguette, sliced and toasted
  • slivered nori sheets for decoration (optional)
_________________________________

  1. Cut the salmon into small dice (I don't recommend using a food processor for this as it will not give the tartar the right consistency);
  2. Put all the ingredients (except last two) together in a bowl and mix well;
  3. Refrigerate and let the flavors blend for at least one hour;
  4. Serve on toasted sliced baguette.






Comments

  1. Oh wow, this looks good!! My dad is coming over tonight and I think this would be a GREAT starter. mmmmmm
    Thank you! B xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I did make this and we all raaaaaved! Am making it for guests again tonight. Thanks, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Barb! I'm glad you enjoy it. It is also one of our favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share you comments or ideas / Request information

Popular posts from this blog

Marinated Beef or Chicken Brochettes

Served with grilled vegetables, smoky grilled garlic bread and a glass of proseco.  Summer ♥ I recently came back from a quick trip to Montreal to help my daughter move out of her residence after her first year at University.   As her summer job, she has decided to go participate in a reforestation project in Northern Ontario,  A & M Reforestation , which will involve a lot of demanding and hard work.   She likes to challenge herself that way.  Go Kat!

Summertime Chocolate Fondue

It's summertime and the fruit is amazing.  Recently, when we were invited to a party and I asked if I could bring something, this idea came to mind.  Actually, it was inspired by my husband who suggested we buy a wonderful chocolate fondue that we found in Switzerland (that is actually from France) to bring back as gifts for friends and family in Montreal. The fondue preparation itself is presented in clay jars that stay very warm once heated and work extremely well to keep the chocolate melted and at the right temperature.  We bought two flavours:  Dark Chocolate 70% cocoa with red pepper aroma (actually quite spicy and really good) and Dark Chocolate 70% cocoa with sea salt.  Both were amazing and added a little twist to the traditional basic chocolate fondue.  The jar needs to be heated on medium power in the microwave for two minutes at a time until the chocolate is the right temperature and consistency.  Very easy.

Maple Syrup Time! - Pudding au Chômeur or Maple Sticky Pudding

I think that every country has a food that you associate it with. In Canada, we are lucky and have a few great products that we are known for.  Amongst others,  the West coast has wild pacific salmon and the Central provinces produce high quality beef.  I do think, however, that we are best known for our maple syrup.