Skip to main content

Hot Cheese and Caramelized Onion Dip (with Beer and a Little Irish Whiskey)


This was a last minute appetizer I decided to make on Christmas Eve.  As we got closer to the guests' arrival, I realized I had not planned much in the way of something to nibble on before dinner.  My mom was bringing something to help me out (like she always does :) but I decided this might be a good addition.


I was inspired by a recipe in the LCBO Food and Drink Magazine  that my wonderful sister in-law (who lives in Ontario) has the kindness to keep the back issues of for me (thanks Elizabeth).  When I have some free time, I go through them and tear out any recipes that I find interesting.

This one looked good and easy with ingredients I had on hand.  I pretty much respected to ingredients but added a few little things.  After I caramelized the onions, I felt it would be a shame to waste the wonderful flavours left in the pan.   I decided to try a little Jameson Irish Whiskey to deglaze the pan.  The resulting glaze was delicious and added that little extra something special.  It was a great hit and I was asked to post the recipe so here it is.  Serve with corn chips or toasted Pita / Naan chips. You can omit the Whiskey step if you like - it's still very good.

Note:  Next time I make it, I will use Guinness Beer and Jameson Whiskey and call it Irish Cheese dip in honor of Mike's Irish heritage and the fact that I love Ireland.

You will need:  For about 1.5 cups of dip
Adapted from Food and Drink Magazine Early Summer 2007 (Roasted Onion and Cheese Dip)


  • 1 large package (250g - 8 oz) of cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • 2 tbsp (30ml) of beer
  • pinch of sugar
  • 1 cup (65g) of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 tsp (5ml) of honey
  • 1.5 tsp (7.5ml) of grain mustard
  • 1 tsp of dried thyme
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) of Jameson Irish Whiskey
  • Salt and pepper
  • Cayenne pepper (optional)
-----------------------------------------------

1.  Place the the sliced onion (1 small), beer (2tbsp - 30 ml), sugar (pinch) and butter (1 tbsp) in a pan over medium heat; 


2.  Allow the onions to cook slowly (about 15 minutes) until they begin to color and caramelize;



3.  While the onions are cooking, place the softened cream cheese (1 large package - 250g), honey (1tsp -5ml), grain mustard (1.5 tsp - 7.5 ml), thyme (1 tsp), grated sharp cheddar (1 cup - 65g) and beer (2tbsp - 30ml) in a bowl and mix together until well blended;

4.  Add the carmelized onions to the cream cheese mix and stir to blend;


5. Return the pan that the onions cooked in to the heat and deglaze with the Whiskey (2tbsp -30ml).  Scrape the bottom well.  The alcohol will boil off and you will be left with a small amount of syrupy liquid (about 1 tsp).  Add to the cream cheese mixture;

6. Season with salt and pepper and place in an oven proof ramekin (can be prepared ahead and kept in the fridge until you are ready to serve);


7.  When you are ready to serve, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C);


8.  Cook the cheese dip for about 20 to 25 minutes (middle oven).  It will begin to bubble and colour;


9.  Sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on top and serve warm with pita/naan or corn chips.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Canadian Baked Beans

I have been wanting to post this recipe for a long time. I made some baked beans a little while ago at the cottage and the house smelled so amazing that everyone who came in commented on it.

Cabane a Sucre Style Puffy Omelets (Cabane a Sucre = Maple Sugar Shack)

Inspiration:  Le temps des sucres - maple syrup time in Quebec. As the snow begins to melt in the Spring, we inevitably start thinking of visiting a cabane à sucre (the sugar shack).

Tourtière du Québec (French Canadian Meat Pie)

One of my fondest food memories is of my mother preparing 10 tourtières at one time in the evening after dinner as she got ready for the upcoming festivities. For French Canadians, this is the time of year when we prepare the Tourtière that will be eaten during the Holidays.