This is a little late for the Christmas baking section but I got a little busy with preparations for Réveillon (Christmas Eve) which we were hosting for my family at a cottage in St-Sauveur, part of the Laurentian Mountains one hour north of Montreal.
|Mom and Dad ♥ xoxo|
You will need: for about 35 cookies (made with a mini ice-cream scoop)
- 1 can (300ml) of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups (260g) of unsweetned shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp (15ml) of vanilla paste or pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C);
2. Using stand or hand held mixer, start whipping egg whites (3) with a pinch of salt on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form;
2. In a separate bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk (1 can - 300ml), vanilla paste or extract (1 tbsp - 15m) and unsweetened coconut (4 cups - 260g), mix well;
3. Fold whipped egg whites gently into coconut mixture;
4. Using a mini ice cream scoop or spoon, place batter on a parchment lined baking sheet;
5. Bake at 325°F (160°C) in the middle and upper section of the oven for about 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown and the cookie feels firm, cool on rack;
6. If you want to dip the cookies in chocolate, melt 1 cup (160g) of dark chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave at 50% power (one minute at a time until melted); Dip the cookies half way and allow to cool on parchment paper.